Cannabidiol (CBD) has been the focus of numerous studies aimed at uncovering its potential effects on sleep. Unlike its psychoactive counterpart, THC, CBD offers a wide range of impacts on sleep, without the intoxicating effects. This guide aims to delve into how CBD affects various stages of sleep and how it compares with other sleep aids you might find over-the-counter or via a prescription.
How CBD Influences Sleep Architecture
- Very Low Dose: Minor effects, possibly negligible.
- Low Dose: May slightly enhance NREM sleep.
- Medium Dose: Generally enhances NREM sleep, but individual responses can vary.
- High Dose: Tends to enhance NREM sleep.
- Very High Dose: The effects become less predictable, may even suppress NREM sleep.
- Very Low Dose: Negligible impact on REM sleep.
- Low Dose: May reduce REM sleep slightly.
- Medium Dose: Tends to normalize REM sleep.
- High Dose: May suppress REM sleep.
- Very High Dose: Possible REM sleep suppression.
Comparison with Other Sleep Aids
- OTC Medications
- Tylenol: Generally helps with pain relief but not directly linked to sleep improvement.
- Benadryl: Promotes drowsiness but can affect REM sleep.
- Ibuprofen: Alleviates pain, which may indirectly improve sleep.
- Camomile Tea: Mild sedative effects.
- Lavender Tea: Promotes relaxation but not thoroughly studied for sleep-stage effects.
- Benzodiazepines: Effective for sleep induction but alters REM.
- Ambien: Effective for sleep initiation but may affect REM.
- Lunesta: Similar to Ambien, may decrease REM sleep.
Comprehensive Table on Sleep Stage Effects by CBD Dose
|Sleep Stage||Very Low Dose CBD||Low Dose CBD||Medium Dose CBD||High Dose CBD||Very High Dose CBD|
|Stage 1||Negligible||Slightly Enhanced||Enhanced||Enhanced||Unpredictable|
|Stage 2||Negligible||Slightly Enhanced||Enhanced||Enhanced||Unpredictable|
|Stage 3||Negligible||Slightly Enhanced||Enhanced||Enhanced||Unpredictable|
|Stage 4 (REM)||Negligible||Slightly Reduced||Normalized||Suppressed||Suppressed|
- Babson et al., 2017
- Chagas et al., 2013
- Russo et al., 2007
- Carlini & Cunha, 1981
- Shannon et al., 2019
- Pava et al., 2014
- Huedo-Medina et al., 2017
Medical Illnesses and Diagnoses for Caution
- Liver Disorders
- Pregnancy and Breastfeeding
- Drug Interactions (e.g., blood thinners)
For specialized advice in these conditions, consult Dr. Caplan at CED Clinic.
📗 Note: If the diagram’s a spark, the book is the 4th of July fireworks display. Light it up here 📗link 📗